It is hard to believe that we are embarking on our last four months of school. Time really has been flying by. Your children have been so busy learning each day that it is amazing to see how much they have grown since the beginning of PRE-K.
In this month’s unit of study, students will move from thinking critically about light, darkness and shadows to an exploration of the properties and uses for water. Each day students will be engaged in activities that promote their critical thinking skills and support their understanding of the essential question of our unit: What does water do? By the end of the unit students will understand:
• That water is all around us
• The changes that happen to water based on the temperature
• Why some objects sink and some objects float
• Why some objects change when placed in water
• The importance of water for all living things
This month students will continue to build their understanding that numbers tell how many. Students will work on the recognition of numbers, writing of numbers, representation of numbers and one to one matching of numbers. Students will work on comparing two numbers and recognizing which number is greater and which number is less. Students will place the numbers in order and understand which number comes before and which number comes after.
We will continue to work with patterns and will focus on creating, extending, copying, and naming patterns.
The students will also work to reinforce their knowledge of shapes and the description of shapes including triangles, circles, squares, rectangles, rhombuses and trapezoids.
Pre-K will be celebrating Bunny Breakfast. Come join us on Thursday, March 29th at 9:30 PM in the Pre-K classrooms.
Letters and Sounds
We are constantly learning about the letters of the alphabet and the sounds each letter makes. In the month of February we have learned the letters D, S, and E. In March, we will focus on the letters U,L, and H.
Please work with your child to recognize and name the letters already taught and also think about words that have the initial sounds of certain letters.
Suggestions For At Home
Parents often ask how they can help their children at home. Below is a list of some things you can do with your child at home to support their learning.
• Name Writing – First and last name (incorporate proper use of upper and lowercase letters)
• Counting to 10 in order
• Counting objects to 10 and naming how many in the group
• Alphabet letter recognition (Upper Case and lowercase letter names)
• Letter sound correspondence (Recognizing the sounds letters make and words with those sounds)
• Letter Writing Upper and lowercase
• Number writing
• Reading books and talking about what is happening in the book (Focus on character, setting, problem and solution)
• Cutting –using the scissor
• Drawing pictures and telling about their drawings
• Name Recognition- being able to find their name in print
• Talking about daily in class activities
• Proper use of zippers, snaps, buttons
• Practicing tying shoes
• Proper three point pencil grip
• Please update your child’s pick up information if there are any changes.
• If your child misses a day of school please send in a note explaining their absence when they return to school.
• Pre-K arrivals from 8:00 to 8:15AM
• Pre-K dismissal starts at 2:00PM
• NO School for Pre-K on Wednesday, March 7th
• ½ Day for all students on Thursday March 15, 2018
• Parent Teacher Conferences are Thursday March 15, 2018
• Bunny Breakfast is Thursday, March 29th at 9:30AM
• NO School- Spring Recess- Friday, March 30th-Friday April 6th
• Back to school Monday, April, 9th